Friday, March 13, 2009

and to the hawk's delight

shamus found a rabbit hole.
he said he saw the ground tremble, and i was quick to join.
oh, how sweet they are! one baby bunny, two baby bunnies, my, FIVE baby bunnies!
no mother rabbit in sight.
i scooped one up in my child-like palm. i couldn't have been more than 8 years old. man, 8 was the year for me.

would i contract some sort of rabbit disease? would i grow whiskers and would my front teeth buck out? would i start craving carrots and fucking all rabbits in sight? no, that's silly. there is no such thing as a rabbit disease.

i held a helpless life in my hands. elaine told me i would drop him.
and i did.
i dropped a helpless baby bunny on the murphy's cement driveway. my heart sank into my gut, my brain began to boil, and my lungs collapsed as i watched a helpless baby bunny roll away in front of me.
i broke his back legs.
i couldn't think. i couldn't think of anything.
i ran inside and elaine screamed "I TOLD YOU SO!"
i scooped up an ever-more helpless baby bunny and sat him back in his hole with his four brothers and sisters. maybe carrots will help? yes, carrots will do the trick! i nervously placed carrot slices in their hole, and somberly walked up into my bedroom.

the next morning i somberly walked toward the rabbit hole.
the rising sun displayed such a horrible sight!
rabbit parts scattered everywhere! guts, brains, eyeballs, feet, baby bunny noses; every organ a baby bunny could possibly have! all thrown maniacally across the side of the murphy's house. who could do such a thing?

me.
and to the hawk's delight, mother rabbit smelled my human stench on her baby bunnies.

No comments:

Post a Comment